Wild Mushroom Poisoning

“Health & Wellness” by Ann Lukits. The Wall Street Journal, 7/14/2015.

mushroomForaging for wild mushrooms is popular in many countries, but not at my house, not even at Trader Joe’s. I consider fungus as something that grows on your feet, not something you should eat.

As expected, many people get sick from eating wild mushrooms, but surprisingly, rarely because of eating a poisonous variety, toadstools we call them. Only 1% of the 10,000 mushroom species are poisonous. In a European study, 87.7% of the illnesses came not from eating a poisonous species, but from toxic microorganisms that can grow on any mushroom if they are not cleaned and stored properly.  (In my area, commercial mushrooms are grown on horse manure.)

Do not eat any food that squeaks when you bite into it is my recommendation. That simple rule will avoid any mushroom risk. The squeak is the vegetable screaming out in pain, and they will get you back once inside your stomach.


About Roger Walck

My reasons for writing this blog are spelled out in the posting of 10/1/2012, Montaigne's Essays. They are probably not what you think.
This entry was posted in Popular culture and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.